December 24, 2019
Gas Furnace Tune Up – When Is It Time To Call In A Pro?
Are you wondering when you need to call in a professional for a gas furnace tune up? Most experts say that you need to tune up your furnace annually. The proper answer is that it depends.
For instance, if you clean your home twice a day, you have no pets, you just installed a brand new furnace, or if you only use the A/C and furnace occasionally because you live in a temperate climate, a furnace tune up could be done every 2 or 3 years.
What Is Involved In A Gas Furnace Tune Up?
- Cleaning the furnace components such as the combustion chamber, jets, burners, blower motor and fan, etc.
- Checking the condensate lines and clearing them. They are used to drain the water generated during combustion of gas. They are also used to drain the condensation collecting on the A/C coil found above the furnace.
- A temperature differential test. It involves measuring the temperature of the air leaving or going into the furnace.
- Doing a combustion analysis of the exhaust. It involves checking the levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Checking for wear and tear in the flame sensor and the ignitor.
What’s The Expected Cost of A Gas Furnace Tune Up?
If you choose a reputable HVAC company to do the furnace tune up, you should expect to pay around $90 – $150. Of course, you need to beware of hidden charges where the professionals find unnecessary repairs or upgrades to add.
How To Get More Value For Your Money
While the furnace technician is present in your home, you should ask for more advice on the right furnace to use. Of course, it depends on your health issues, lifestyle and the type of furnace you want, among other factors.
On the other hand, if you want a smart home thermostat, the technician could install it while they are in your home. That way, you don’t need to pay for another service call. Mention it to them when you make the service call to avoid any inconveniences on the day of the gas furnace tune up.