September 2, 2021
How to Turn on a Furnace
Turning On A Furnace
It is straightforward and essential to know how to turn on a furnace, especially when entering the cold season. With some furnace systems, the pilot light can go off very quickly with a slight breeze, leaving your home cold.
Therefore understanding how to light the pilot light in your heater properly is mandatory. Furnaces tend not to work when you need them at their best. Generally, the winter season is the best time to observe your heating unit performance and age, as this is the time where the function level is at its peak.
Related: What are your home heating options?
The Pilot Light
Below we are going to show you how you can adequately light the pilot light. Every heating system should have instructions to light it correctly. Before doing anything else, read the instructions.
Locate the pilot light and the heater components
The pilot switch, located near the bottom of the heating unit, enables you to turn on your heating system or switch it off.
Relight the furnace pilot light
Once you have allowed enough time for the gas to dissipate, switch the knob to pilot mode and hold the reset switch down. At the same time, bring your lighter’s flame closely towards the pilot opening.
Following the above should successfully light your gas furnace. Once you confirm that the pilot light is on, slowly release the reset switch.
Below, we have provided you with some of the additional points you should know before relighting your gas furnace.
- Suppose you have followed the steps provided above on, but the furnace’s pilot light has refused to light or rather won’t stay on for long. In that case, there is a significant problem with your furnace.
If this happens, schedule a call with an HVAC technician to solve the problem on your behalf.
- Before switching on your furnace, let it rest for a few minutes. Excess gas in the furnace can cause damages to your home and lead to significant injuries.
Before turning on your furnace, the extra time allows the gas to dissipate and ensure it functions properly.
- Apart from the furnace’s pilot light, you should not fix the furnace problems if you are unsure what you are doing. You can try to fix your furnace only to increase the damages further. The heater can be safe, but you can’t say the same for the gas present in your furnace.
- If you do not possess a long lighter or rather a long matchstick, we recommend that you use a long folded piece of paper to ignite the furnace’s pilot light. There should be some distance when you are attempting to light the furnace’s pilot light. A safe space is a safety measure to avoid any damages and injuries when lighting the heater.
Learn how to extend the life of your water heater.
How to Reset Your Furnace After a Power Outage
- If your furnace back at home fails to function after a power outage, you should not turn your attention directly to the reset switch. Below are some of the things you should consider doing first.
- You should be able to check your thermostat and check whether it’s on. In case it is off, you should switch it on and set it accordingly. In case your smart thermostat is switched on, you should be able to reset it first.
- You should check whether the breakers are in good shape as a power outage can cause them to trip. If they have tripped, flip them off and on again.
- You should check and see whether the GFI furnace outlets are in good shape. A power outage can cause them to trip. If this is the case, you should reset them first before switching on your furnace.
- You should also not forget the safety lock. When you reset the furnace, you shot to ensure that you only press the button once to avoid engaging the furnace’s safety lock.
In case you have tried the above pointers, and the furnace doesn’t function properly. You should call an HVAC professional that will solve the issue on your behalf.
In the market for a water softener? Read their advantages and disadvantages.
You now know how to turn on a furnace successfully without causing damages or injuries. Lighting the furnace’s pilot light is not necessary in some cases. However, it is a skill that you should equip yourself in maintaining your furnace.